What Can I Expect at My Child’s First Dental Visit?
- Examination of the mouth, teeth, and gums.
- X-rays may be taken (depending on the child’s age) to check the progress of your child’s baby and permanent teeth and reveal potential decay.
- If cleaning is necessary and desired, our hygienist will perform a dental cleaning.
- Check to see if your child needs fluoride. If so, a topical fluoride may be applied to help protect teeth from decay.
- Evaluation of adverse habits like thumb sucking.
- Teach you about cleaning your child’s teeth and gums.
- Suggest a schedule for regular dental visits.
- Check if orthodontic treatment is needed.
What Can I Do to Prepare My Child for Their First Dental Appointment?
At Back Bay Family Dentistry, we like our new patients to be as comfortable as possible. We recommend the following to help ensure your child is at ease during their visit:
- Take your child for a “preview” of the office.
- Read books with them about going to the dentist.
- Review with them what the dentist will be doing at the time of the first visit.
- Speak positively about your own dental experiences.
Has your child had their first dental check-up? If not, contact Back Bay Family Dentistry in Biloxi today. We look forward to meeting our new patient!