Kids And Pediatric Dentistry
Kids require special healthcare because of their continuous growth and development. Kids also require special dental care to help them grow into adults with healthy teeth and perfect dental health. The development of teeth in kids starts at about six to twelve months of age. The first set of teeth called the milk teeth to start to erupt above the gumline into the mouth. This set of teeth is responsible for the development of a child’s jawbone and the grinding of food to aid digestion. Inadequate care of these teeth can lead to decay and other dental diseases that can be deadly for infants and kids. At the age of seven, these milk teeth are replaced by a set of teeth meant to serve the child till old age named permanent teeth. The replacement of the milk teeth by the permanent teeth is a transition that has to be monitored to prevent complications and dental problems for the child. These changes, growth, development, and transitions can be looked after by a branch of dentistry named pediatric dentistry.
Pediatric dentistry is a branch of dentistry that deals with the care for the dental health of infants, children, adolescents, and anyone not yet up to legal age. Pediatric dentists are dentists that take dental care of kids till they are of age. Pediatric dentists have enough training that helps them to attend to the major dental need of every child.
Kids And Pediatric Dentistry.
Pediatric dentistry helps to provide full dental care and professional advice to patients. The functions of pediatric dentists include:
- Oral health examination for kids. Kids are inspected for dental caries, decay, and cavity.
- Diagnosis. Pediatric dentists help to detect dental problems in kids earlier and diagnose them.
- Treatment of oral injuries. A pediatric dentist helps to nurse a child’s oral injuries.
- Preventive dental care. Pediatric dentists help to guide and protect the teeth of children from dental cavities, decay, etc.
Common teeth problems tackled by pediatric dentistry in kids include:
- Teething problems. When teething is delayed in an infant, pediatric dentists try to detect the reason and offer treatment methods.
- Tooth decay. Children’s love for sugary/sweet things might lead to a buildup of dental plaque that causes tooth decay. Dental plaques are formed as a combination of bacteria in the mouth, saliva, and remnants of sugary or starchy food. A pediatric dentist in Diberville, MS, can help to treat tooth decay in children.
- Malocclusion. This occurs when the upper teeth do not align with the lower teeth when the mouth is closed. It can cause pain and injuries in the mouth, and hinder speech and proper breaking down of food. Dr. Jeremy W. Parker can help to correct misaligned teeth.
- Sensitive teeth. A child’s tooth enamel can be easily worn down by acid and plaques because of its fragility. This can cause the nerve endings of the tooth surface to be exposed by a crack. This leads to pain whenever something got or cold is put in the mouth.
- Bad breath. Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is a common occurrence in kids which can be fixed with the help of a pediatric dentist in Diberville, MS.
- Gum diseases. The inflammation of the gum tissues in kids can be caused by a buildup of dental plaques and poor oral hygiene. A pediatric dentist near you can help to prevent and treat gum diseases in your kids.
- Bruxism. Also known as teeth grinding, bruxism is the habitual clenching and grinding of the teeth. This can be attributed to malocclusion and psychological problems in kids. Pediatric dentistry provides a solution to this problem.
Detection of any of these dental problems in your kids requires an immediate appointment with a pediatric dentist near you
. This helps in early diagnosis and treatment before the disease or defect can ruin the kid’s dental health.
Benefits Of Pediatric Dentistry
- Pediatric dentistry provides specialized dental care for kids.
- Pediatric dentistry gives kids access to dental equipment specially made for them.
- Kids have access to fast comprehensive dental care through pediatric dentistry.
- Kids feel relaxed and calm with a pediatric dentist because of their professionalism. Therefore, pediatric dentists help to erase a kid’s dental fears.