What Are The Types Of Dental Implants?
When you are missing one or more teeth, it can affect your appearance. There are several teeth replacement options, but dental implants provide a long-lasting solution. In addition, they look just like your natural teeth.
What Is A Dental Implant?
Dental implants are a restorative treatment for missing teeth. They are a long-term tooth replacement option. Generally, a dental implant has the shape of a screw that supports artificial teeth.
Causes Of Missing Teeth
Several factors can cause missing teeth, including;
- Tooth decay: poor oral hygiene and an improper diet contribute to tooth decay. When tooth decay is not noticed early, it can damage the tooth to the extent that an extraction will be necessary.
- Trauma: when an accident or heavy impact occurs, it may cause a tooth to become loose or fall off.
- Gum disease: this disease affects the gums and results in bone loss. Gum disease can increase pocket depths of teeth, thereby causing loose teeth.
- Age and medications: with age, the tooth wears down and is prone to falling off.
Structure Of A Dental Implant
Dental implants have a structure that consists of three parts which are;
- The screw- this is a tiny device, usually from titanium. It works as an artificial tooth root.
- Abutment – this connects both the screw and the replacement tooth.
- Crown – this is the replacement tooth. They look and function like natural teeth. Crowns rest on the abutment, and they are usually from porcelain or metal.
Benefits Of A Dental Implant
Some of the benefits of dental implants are
- They look and function just like natural teeth
- The implants prevent bone loss
- Dental implants improve your smile and boost self-confidence
- Implants are a long-lasting solution to missing teeth. They can last for about 15 to 25 years, depending on maintenance
- The implants are pretty easy to maintain. Just follow regular proper oral hygiene
How Does A Dental Implant Procedure Go?
The best dental implant specialists near you should carry out this procedure in stages. A dental implant procedure include;
- Tooth removal: in case there is a damaged tooth, a dentist will first extract the tooth’s
- Bone grafting: some people need a bone graft procedure to reinforce the jawbone and provide support for the implant
- Implant placement: after the bone graft heals, the dentist will drill holes in the jawbone to accommodate the screw-like implants. The jawbone has to heal around the implant before the next step
- Abutment placement: after the implants heal, the dentist places the Abutment on top of the implant
- Crown placement: when you get dental implants near you, the dentist will take an impression of your teeth. The impressions are necessary to make custom-made dental crowns. Afterward, the dentist places the dental crowns on the abutment
Disadvantages Of Dental Implants
As much as dental implants offer a host of benefits, there are certain disadvantages to getting dental implants.
- In most cases, a dental implant procedure requires a bone grafting procedure
- Getting dental implants is quite expensive
- Dental implants don’t whiten natural teeth
- The procedure is invasive
Where To Get A Dental Implant
You can get dental implants near you by searching for dental clinics within your area. Dr. Jeremy W. Parker
is one of the best dentists in D’iberville. He is always available to attend to all your dental implants needs.
Emergency dentists in D’iberville recommend visiting a dentist near you immediately to get advice and treatment when you have missing teeth. Missing teeth can affect the overall appearance. Although there are several tooth replacement options, they don’t provide a long-lasting and effective solution as much as dental implants. Please book an appointment with us at Back bay family dentistry for your dental implants.